“Safe Sex – You Have To Be Kidding”
by Donna Garner

unnamed (14)

For those of us who have taught school and worked with young people all our adult lives, we know how impulsive and irresponsible teens can be.

How many of us truly believe that young people in the heat of passion are going to take the time to go through all of the following steps (posted below) to use condoms consistently and correctly?  

In fact, how many of us adults would go through all of these steps ourselves to use condoms consistently and correctly? 

Another question we need to ask is how many “condom” babies are there among our married friends and acquaintances?  I know of many married couples who tried not to get pregnant, used condoms, and ended up with precious little babies. Whoops!  I guess this is where we get the statistic that says that condoms are only effective against pregnancy 85% of the time.

The big problem that condom-pushers do not want to mention is that condoms do not protect against many sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s).   

Patricia Sulak, M. D. has stated, “As an obstetrician-gynecologist, professor, and contraceptive researcher, I know firsthand the high failure rate of condoms.  The NIH [National Institutes of Health] has stated that condoms do not protect against most STDs including HPV, herpes, and chlamydia.”

At best, condoms only protect against HIV 85% of the time which leaves 15% of the time when they are not effective; and the 85% statistic only holds true when people have used condoms correctly and consistently.  

How many of us would fly on an airplane if the pilot announced that he only crashes 15% of the time?  

This is the unequivocal message we adults need to be sending teens:  Abstinence is 100% effective against STD’s and pregnancy.

7.15.09 -- ACT AGAINST AIDS CAMPAIGN -- U. S. Centers for Disease Control


To use a male condom correctly

  • Put the condom on the tip of the erect penis with the rolled side out before the penis comes into contact with the genitals, mouth, or anus.
  • If the condom does not have a reservoir tip, pinch the tip, leaving a half-inch space for semen to collect.
  • Holding the tip, unroll the condom all the way to the base of the erect penis.
  • After ejaculation and before the penis gets soft, hold the rim of the condom and carefully withdraw.
  • Gently pull the condom off the penis, making sure that semen doesn't spill out.
  • Wrap the condom in a tissue and throw it in the trash where others won't handle it.
  • If you feel the condom break at any point during sexual activity, stop immediately, withdraw, remove the broken condom, and put on a new condom.
  • Ensure that adequate lubrication is used during vaginal and anal sex.
  • Use water-based lubricants such as K-Y Jelly™, Astroglide™, AquaLube™, and glycerin.
  • Oil-based lubricants such as petroleum jelly, shortening, mineral oil, massage oils, body lotions, and cooking oil should not be used because they can weaken latex, causing the condom to break or tear.
  • Use a new condom for every act of anal, vaginal, and oral sexfrom start to finish.

To use a female condom correctly

  • Put lubricant on the outside of the closed end.
  • Squeeze together the sides of the inner ring of the condom and insert it into the vagina like a tampon.
  • With your finger, push the inner ring into the vagina as far as it will go.
  • The inner ring will stay in place, kind of like a diaphragm.
  • Pull out your finger, allowing the outer ring to stay outside the vagina.
  • Guide the penis into the condom.
  • Pull out gently.
  • Remove the condom before standing up.